Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

CAN WE MANDATE THAT OUR EMPLOYEES HAVE TO COME INTO THE OFFICE

Customer Question
AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN WORKING...
CAN WE MANDATE THAT OUR EMPLOYEES HAVE TO COME INTO THE OFFICE AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN WORKING FROM HOME?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
7/24/2015
Employment Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. Yes, you can create such a mandate. For any transportation and time spent in the office you will have to pay compensation for the employees. In other words, if you designate someone as a telecommuter, any costs for going into the office and time to travel would be borne by you. If you designate someone as an employee who can work from home, then traveling to the office is on them, but you still need to pay them for their time while working or traveling on your behalf. Sincerely, ***** *****
I am more concerned with us telling her she NOW has to come into the office as we are no longer going to permit "work at home" opportunities..
Hi, That may be a problem if she was already given the green light to work from home. You can, in writing, tell her that the right to work from home is rescinded, and inform her that she has to come in. You CAN do so if this was not a contractual benefit, but a benefit you provided at your discretion. Sincerely, ***** *****
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney