How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5557
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am considering suing my employer /wage discrimination.

Customer Question

Hi i am considering suing my employer for racial/wage discrimination. I was promoted earlier this year and my promotion came with an increase. However in am the only black manager in my department performing similar responsibilities as my white colleagues, who 15-30 thousand more than me. I work in Human Resources and have access to compensation details and demographic info for the entire company. Unfortunately I am not the only minority being paid less than their colleague, my company has developed in system to racism by underpaying most minorities. I have in my access earnings history for myself and colleagues and support(client emails, performance appraisals) to prove my stellar job performance. I would like to know how I should pursue this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today.My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experiencein this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. In what state are you located?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
You basically have two choices, one is to just go out and hire your own attorney. They would probably first attempt to negotiate with the employer, come to a settlement amount and if not sucessful would take you through the Equal Employment Opportunity investigation process, and then sue the employer, probaby in a class action lawsuit. The other option you have is to just go to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission yourself. The EEOC I think would have a high interest in a case like this where you have hard data to show disparate impact in the employer's wage system. They probably would file discriination and make the employer either change its practices or suing them in federal court. Lastly, your employer cannot legally discipline or discharge you for filing with the EEOC. If this sounds like something you're interested in, you canlearn how and where to file a charge with them here.
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
I believe this answers your question. However, if you needclarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will behappy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If youare otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** you all the best with this matter.
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.