How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 37830
Experience:  16 years practicing attorney
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was terminated from my sales position at Sam Levitz Furniture

Customer Question

I was terminated from my sales position at Sam Levitz Furniture afer 5 yrs of service. I wasnt given a reason at the time of termination. This occured on 7/9/15 and I have yet to receive my finsl check for hourly wages as well as attained vacation pay. There are also commissions which I should be entitled to? How long does the company have to pay me according to AZ state law? Unfortunately I dont have a copy of my original employment agreement. I have contacted HR and lefr 2 messages and have not received an answer. I have also contacted the store manager vie text message and he did say I would receive a check by 7/20/15. I believe the company is in breach. Can you help to advise me and if so what sre your fees?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Barrister and I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can..In AZ, an employer must pay someone who has been terminated within seven of the employees' working days or the next payday, whichever is sooner. .If they fail to pay you your wages, you have a couple options.. You can file a formal wage and hour complaint with the AZ Department of Labor. Upon receipt of a claim, the Department will notify the employer of the claim and investigate the case. After investigation of the claim, the Department will provide a written determination that can only be appealed to superior court. An employer who does not comply with a Final Order within ten days after the Order becomes final is liable for treble the amount of the unpaid wages found to be owed. .Your other option is to file suit under a breach of contract claim. You can file in small claims court and don't need an attorney if the amount is $2,500 or less. If it is over that, you would need to get a local employment law, civil litigation, or contact law attorney to represent you and file suit in a higher court..But the wage and hour complaint to the Dept of Labor usually does the trick as they don't want to be in trouble with the state....thanksBarrister