Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

My wife and I are the owners/directors of a yoga studio. We

Customer Question
My wife and I are...
My wife and I are the owners/directors of a yoga studio. We espouse a team approach to teaching at our studio and ask that all of our teachers respect and honor the format of the classes when instructing. A team approach means that we, as members of the team (4 of us total), communicate with each other and discuss modifications to yoga postures that we have given students so we can all "have the lay of the land" and support each other so that we are not giving mixed messages to students. We have a policy that teachers are not allowed to give hands-on corrections of students without the students express permission. The teacher in question continually violated this policy while teaching - triggering some of our students with PTSD (we received an email from a distraught student citing this behavior) The real issue is that during a recent class, this teacher decided to announce to the class that she was in disagreement with us over this policy, that she felt that she was doing no harm and that she would continue this practice while teaching class regardless of our wishes. She also stated to the class that if she was fired for this, that they (the students) would know why. We were not in this class, but heard about it second hand. We did some investigation by interviewing some of the students that took this class and her remarks were confirmed. This teacher had gone on vacation, so we sent her a termination letter by email, that she was being let go with cause, and precisely why, and that we would not support an unemployment claim. Her remarks to this class, were not an isolated incident. We had talked to her multiple times regarding our wishes as they related to a team based approach to teaching and her divisive behavior continued in different forms. This teacher, since being fired has been "reaching out" to many of her friends and students who love her classes to complain about being wrongfully fired and urging them to write to us in her defense and use phrases like "you the owners have not acted with integrity" and are destroying the yoga community. This has escalated with her continually fanning the flames, creating more drama and inciting students to gossip in the changing rooms and infect even those students who didn't even know, like or care about her. We just want to move on and teach yoga, but it seems this teacher is on a vindictive mission to cause as much disharmony as possible at our studio. What is most ridiculous is that she is hiding behind being the victim in this case - using all kinds of New Age gobbledegook language about having a meeting to openly process all of this with everyone so that everyone can heal and feel safe. It should be noted that none of her friends, fans, or even she herself has ever denied making the comments that got her fired. Please, any advise is appreciated!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
7/20/2015
Employment Lawyer: Ray, Employment lawyer replied 2 years ago
Ray, Employment lawyer
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today. You may consider a lawyer to send a cease and desist letter threatening a suit for defamation.She appears to be making false and disparaging remarks here and you may have grounds for a civil suit for damages.You could also seek a restraining order for her to stop and also tp stay away from your studios. This would be the best way to stop this with a letter and if necessary a lawsuit for damages.This is important to stop this she is destroying your client base here and hurting your business. A local lawyer can put a stop[ to this and sue if necessary. Lawyer referral.. https://www.osbar.org/public/ris/lrsform.html Reference to the law in Oregon on defamation. https://www.osbar.org/public/legalinfo/1186_LibelSlander.htm I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.
If you can leave a positive rating when we are through it is always much appreciated.
Ray, Employment lawyer