Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

My name is***** recently just got terminated from

Customer Question
Hello my name is***** recently...
Hello my name is***** recently just got terminated from my job about.two weeks ago for tardiness. And i was wondering can my employer terminate me even though there was two employees who committed the same act? Where i was working the other lady i worked with (there was just two of us) always came in late, yes, i did come in late sometimes due to transportation reasons and i would text my manager and let him know my situation and that i would be running late he would get down on me and say it was no excuse but yet when the other lady would notify him via text that she was running late he would excuse it. The day i was terminated i was 10mins late after my scheduled start shift and i notified him via text that morning but he never responded. He didnt have me sign any termination papers and so i left the property. When i returned home i quickly got on the computer and filed for unemployment. I got a letter saying i was approved and now my employer (used to be employer) is denying me unemployment. Is this right? I believe it is unfair..i still havent recieved my last check either. The hr manager said it was deposited into my account but my account was closed before that pay day i even have a.letter from the bank saying my account was closed before this payday from and i notified her via email. Now she is wanting a letter from my bank saying the account was closed before she give me a check..is this correct on there part? This company also has a supervisor there that has made multiple female employees quit due to sexual harrasment the company policy states they have a no tolerance rule toward any harassment and who ever commits it would.be terminated ASAP, but they still have the supervisor there who committed sexual. harassment and to top it off this supervisor got another employee pregnant. There is a lot more that this company is doing that i believe is unfait i wat to do something and i have multiple former employees who will back me up on everything i say too for they have seen it with their own eyes.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
7/18/2015
Employment Lawyer: JackJD, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
JackJD
JackJD, Lawyer
Hello Sabrina, my name is ***** ***** I'll answer your questions. First, let me say that I'm sorry to hear that you have this problem.1. Yes, you can be terminated for being late, even though other employees are not being terminated for the same thing. Arizona is an "employment at will" state. That means that you can be terminated for any reason or for no reason or for a bad reason. The one exception is that you cannot be discriminated against because of sex, race, religion, or national origin. If any of these reasons is involved, its a different story, and please reply with the information and I will talk about it.2. The unemployment insurance issue: your employer responded to the UI agency by saying that you were terminated for misconduct. This is the law, you cannot draw unemployment after losing your job because of misconduct. I would suggest, however, that you file an appeal anyways. Sometimes the employer doesn't bother to respond and then you will get your benefit.3. If you were on direct deposit and your account got closed, they will have to pay you by another means. But, if you wait for your bank to bounce the payment back to their bank, that may take a while. Easier to get them the letter they asked for and get your paycheck.I'm sorry that I couldn't give you better news, but I figure you want to hear it like it is.If I have adequately answered your questions, please rate the answer below. If you have more to the question, send a reply. Good luck.
JackJD
JackJD
JackJD, Lawyer