Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Can I be fired due to the fact I told a worker that she is

Customer Question
lazey, this is due to...
Can I be fired due to the fact I told a worker that she is lazey, this is due to the fact she take 2. one hr. breaks ad and 1- 1 1/2 hrs for chow.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
7/16/2015
Employment Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Yes, you can be. Louisiana is an "at will" employment state. At-will employment means that without a contract, you have no contractual or other right to employment with the company. The company is entitled to fire you for any reason: a good reason, a poor reason, or no reason at all--as long as the company does not fire you for an illegal reason (race, gender, age, religion, etc...). But it extends beyond firing, to hiring, promotions, demotions, wage cuts and raises, disciplinary actions, and even scheduling. Unless you can show that this was done in violation of a contract, union agreement, or a clear violation of an unambiguous and binding clause against the employer, or that it was done because of some minority status (age, race, gender, religion, disability) that you have, then they do have this discretion. So in short, saying something like this, even if objectively true, can lead to your termination (as you can be terminated for anything so long as it's not based on race, age, religion, gender, or disability). I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer