How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 118189
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was recently informed (after 18 months of employment)

Customer Question

Hi- I was recently informed (after 18 months of employment) that the grade level my company hired me at is lower than the grade level that we signed in the offer letter statement. This reflects a discrepancy between the signed contract and company records, which was "intentional" per the Partner's decision. I was not aware of this grade discrepancy until 2 weeks ago, and had I known, I would not have agreed and signed the offer letter.
What are my options?
Employer: large British engineering corporation
My employment location: New York, NY
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you have a signed contract that states you have a particular salary, then they are bound to pay you that amount unless the contract also says your employment is at will. If your letter of employment says your employment is at will, that means the employer can actually change your rate of pay and your options are to agree, negotiate with the employer or look for new employment I am afraid.
If your agreement letter does not say you are an at will employee, they would be in breach of contract for them trying to now change the contract on you and you can sue them for breach of contract.