Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

My wife works City of Palm Beach Gardens. She is considered

Customer Question
My wife works for the...
My wife works for the City of Palm Beach Gardens. She is considered a part-time employee although she has worked what I consider full time hours for several years. Last year she was told she would be given health insurance by August 1st after achieving a given number of hours. She was recently told that the insurance will not happen until October 1st.
I know an employer can decide for themselves what they consider full time hours. However, I believe a City Like Palm Beach Gardens should have a specific standard. Also, if there is any other employee working the same number of hours as my wife, yet collecting benefits as a full time employee, might there be grounds for claiming discrimination?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
7/15/2015
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
if she is working full time hours, she cannot be denied benefits. She may claim discrimination and misclassification. She may pursue with HR, having a lawyer speak to HR and then escalate through court action and the labor board.
Gender discrimination and age discrimination are also avenues to explore.
Often when pushed, the employer will reconsider and do what is right, not wanting to be sued.Let me know if the answer is clear and acceptable.
If I can clarify anything, please write back and ask me.
I cannot talk until after 4PM because of work schedule
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Legal Discussion by Email. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
just write back and let me know if you have a follow up. dont have phone capability
can continue later whenever you are free.
Please carry on this conversation with my e-mail address. I would like to know if you recommend retaining an attorney for this?
I would try to negotiate with HR directly first, and if they dont take it seriously and cover it, you should hire a lawyer.
Martindale.com and findlaw.com are good resource directories. Kindly let me know if the answer is acceptable.
Tina, Lawyer