John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

Recently I was terminated after turning in ADA form and documentation

Customer Question

Recently I was terminated after turning in ADA form and documentation from doctor stating the seriousness of my condition. HR stated they couldn't transition me into another position or make accomadations for and fired me while out sick as I haven't been able to perform my job duties. What should I do in this situation. Should I speak with the EEOC or an attorney. I'm in the state of Texas.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. I'm sorry to hear about your job loss.
The Americans with Disabilities Act ( ADA) prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability and has a three-part definition of disability. Under ADA, an individual with a disability is a person who: (1) has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities; OR (2) has a record of such an impairment; OR (3) is regarded as having such an impairment. As long as an employee can do the job, he cannot be discriminated against for these reasons. A physical impairment is defined by ADA as "any physiological disorder or condition, cosmetic disfigurement, or anatomical loss affecting one or more of the following body systems: neurological, musculoskeletal, special sense organs, respiratory (including speech organs), cardiovascular, reproductive, digestive, genitourinary, hemic and lymphatic, skin, and endocrine." Neither ADA nor the regulations that implement it list all the diseases or conditions that are covered, because it would be impossible to provide a comprehensive list, given the variety of possible impairments.
The issue in your case appears to be that the employer didn't even engage in the interactive disability process with you to determine if you could do any of the work with an accommodation. What I'd recommend you do is retain a local employment attorney and consider filing an ADA discrimination action for failure to accomodate. You'd first have to file a charge with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commissision before filing a lawsuit.
I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.