How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 116754
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I suffered a workmans comp claim injury while working

Customer Question

I suffered a workmans comp claim injury while working for the University of the Virgin Islands which is operated by the territorial government of the Virgin islands. The workers comp section of the territorial government is broke and did not pay a portion of my claim, which I paid out of pocket. I am still having health issues from my injury two years later despite exhausting all avenues to get reimbursed. My question is: can I sue the territorial government of the Virgin Islands for pain and suffering and for not paying my workers comp claim and if so, how do I go about doing this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under VI law, only if an employer has no Workers’ Compensation coverage and is sued for damages by an employee, the employer may have to pay substantially more in damages including medical bills, lost earnings into the future, and pain and suffering.
However, if they have workers compensation, the employer shall be liable for reimbursement to the Government Insurance Fund for ALL expenditures incurred plus a 30% penalty. So you have to file a workers compensation suit and you would have to pursue the payment of your actual damages, plus the 30% penalty.