John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

Are non competes valid in north carolina? if so, what is the

Customer Question

are non competes valid in north carolina? if so, what is the typical allowable duration?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today.
Yes, typically the max duration is about 2 years. But the thing about non-competes is the court has to consider multiple factors - generally the larger the territory of non-compete the shorter the allowable duration. Courts have considered six-month to three-year restrictions reasonable, depending on the geographic restrictions. Restrictions of five years or more are presumed to be unreasonable.
I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.