Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I'm a consultant podiatrist in the VA system (over 24 years).

Customer Question

I'm a consultant podiatrist in the VA system (over 24 years). Recently, the way I'm paid has changed from "flat fee per day" to "fee per patient". All doctors on staff are still paid per day. Every day, all patient encounters (appointment notes) need to be closed and signed. EVERY doc has an occational open encounter. When this happens, there is a quarterly report that gives each doc a list of encounters that need to be closed. Only consultants need to send a worksheet everyday with the list of patients seen. This is immediately checked to see if there are any open encounters-so, I do the work but am not offered the same courtosey as the other docs and I don't get paid! Is it legal to have my pay with held when this is not a penalty for others?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
It sounds like they have you on as a contractor, is that correct? Are you paid by a 1099?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I get paid a regular pay check w/taxes with held. the difference between a staff doctor and a consultant is consultanta have no benefits and no contract but are paid a higher rate. I have a steady schedule 2-3 days per week w/20 -25 patients per day. Does that answer your question?
ThanksIt does. Can you tell me what you mean by I do the work but am not offered the same courtosey as the other docs and I don't get paid! Is it legal to have my pay with held when this is not a penalty for others?