How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5731
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've just been informed by my boss that I need to participate

Customer Question

I've just been informed by my boss that I need to participate in a conference call this afternoon with a former employee and a state representative. The employee who resigned is claiming a hostel work environment and that he was terminated. The extremely short notice of this request strikes me as inappropriate. How should I proceed?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today
It is fairly standard for the state to request phone conferences, and they usually do it at a time that is mutually convenient for both sides. I suspect what happened s your employer's attorney and the state rep cam to the conclusion that this afternoon was the only time that is good for both of them mutually. I don't think it's anything for you, personally to be concerned about.
You have to proceed because your employer is ordering you to proceed. If you are considering getting your own attorney for this, and you haven't had time to consult with him/her about this you may want to consider asking for a later date so you can get your own attorney. The employer attorney is not your attorney, but your and the employer's interests at this point are 100% aligned, so they basically act as your attorney. Thus, if I were in your position, I would not get my own attorney and would just work with the employer's representative in answering whatever questions the state rep has for you.
I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers; otherwise the website just keeps your payment and doesn’t credit me at all. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.