How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 118175
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In 2013 I received unemployment benefits on a 2010 claim after

Customer Question

In 2013 I received unemployment benefits on a 2010 claim after filing for social security benefits while the case was pending. The insurance company who was giving me long term benefits stop giving me long term December OF 2012. IN January I filed and received and extention on the 2010 claim from January to June when the funds ran out. I informed the worker that at I had began writing the insurance company who I had received benefits from in the past and if they reinstated me I didn't want to receive both or get in any trouble. I was reinstated in August and received compensation from December to that present time I disclosed this information during social security hearing and received an unfavorable decision are there any other problems with the insurance company when they receive this information. They just request an up date on the case now a year plus after the fact. Presently I'm still receiving benefits from the insurance company.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your specific question for us regarding this matter? Did you seek to return any double payments you should not have received?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
because it was a 2010 claim should I have to pay any thing? or face other problems?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, if there was any overpayment, even from 2010, you would indeed need to repay the money. The government has a legal right to pursue these repayments of overpayments or dual payments based on the fact that the dual payments are considered fraud which have no limitation period to recover.
You can file for waiver based on your financial inability to repay and that this overpayment was not intentional to defraud. It is up to the director to agree to waive the repayment and if denied, you can use an attorney to file an appeal before an administrative law judge.