Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  More than 30 years in legal practice.
17897874

Can i be suspended from work rest of the week after

Customer Question

can i be suspended from work for the rest of the week after being at the emergency room at hospital on tues with high blood pressure after i was being harashed all weekend long by the employer
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney. I will do whatever I can to provide an honest and accurate answer to your question.
Before I answer a bit more detail would be helpful please.
Do you have a written employment contract covering a specific time period?
Do you have any reason to suspect that you are being treated differently due to race, religion, age, etc.?
Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have no written employee contract .Things started changing at my job about a year ago .I work at a small salon doing hair .Ive been there 3 years now in those three years she has changed my schedule 10 times. She gets mad if i go in before my schedule,if i go in later or if i miss with a doctors excuse. what started this ball rolling what that she made an appt for me on Tues at 11am when i dont go it till 1pm. I have high blood pressure with a family history of strokes & heart attacks. So my doctor is keeping close tabs on me. Im to avoid sress. My fiance is also sick with diabetics. So on rare occasion when he has a procedule done to his eyes i have to take him. I do try to schedule everything for us on my days off. sometimes its not possible. A time before another employee broke her leg,she was under doctors care & she was fired. She is always on my case about this or that. Its neverending. So what can i do. If after this time with a drs excuse i was suspended.She not so dumb as to fire me cause she knows i will go 4 unemployment benifits.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information. Your employer sounds insensitive.If you have no written employment agreement then you are, in all likelihood, an at-will employee. As such, you are pretty much subject to the whim of your employer. They can change your schedule, your compensation or even terminate you at any time and for any reason or no reason.The only limitation is that the employer may not take adverse action against you in violation of your civil rights (unlawful discrimination) or out of sexual harassment.If you believe your civil rights are being violated you can file a grievance with the EEOC at www.eeoc.gov.Otherwise, it is really a matter of internal office politics or policy and not something which could be redressed in court.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.