Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

Who in Group Homes in Virginia that had diabetic clients are

Customer Question

Who in Group Homes in Virginia that had diabetic clients are by law permitted to administer insulin to their diabetic client. My daughter is working as a floater in group homes here in Charlottesville and has diabetics. She is not an RN or an LPN, but is responsible to give "meds" to the clients, and she had a question about who is authorized to give clients their insulin.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.Under VA law, as long as she is employed with a medical facility and a physician has prescribed, she is able to administer. You can read the VA Law in this regard at this LINKAnd it says the following§ 54.1-3408. Professional use by practitioners.A. A practitioner of medicine, osteopathy, podiatry, dentistry, or veterinary medicine or a licensed nurse practitioner pursuant to § 54.1-2957.01, a licensed physician assistant pursuant to § 54.1-2952.1, or a TPA-certified optometrist pursuant to Article 5 (§ 54.1-3222 et seq.) of Chapter 32 shall only prescribe, dispense, or administer controlled substances in good faith for medicinal or therapeutic purposes within the course of his professional practice.B. The prescribing practitioner's order may be on a written prescription or pursuant to an oral prescription as authorized by this chapter. The prescriber may administer drugs and devices, or he may cause drugs or devices to be administered by:1. A nurse, physician assistant, or intern under his direction and supervision;2. Persons trained to administer drugs and devices to patients in state-owned or state-operated hospitals or facilities licensed as hospitals by the Board of Health or psychiatric hospitals licensed by the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services who administer drugs under the control and supervision of the prescriber or a pharmacistI SUGGEST that if she is not an RN or an LPN or a medical professional Intern then she could be in violation of the law. Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please let me know here. Otherwise, I would appreciate a Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time.​Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your immediate response. I will pass this along to my daughter. Meds are already set up and she just distributes them at the appropriate time, so I probably did not give you enough information; but the information you gave me will be helpful. If she were here with me, I probably could have explained more thoroughly the question. She is basically a "caretaker" but she and others are required to administer meds that are not licensed people. I think the information you furnished will give her what she can and can't do. It will certainly be helpful. If she were here, I would call with additional questions. Again, thanks!
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
Hello You're welcome. Good luck to your daughter and thanking your in advance for a positive rating.