Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

Live in Delaware, worked based in Connecticut, that

Customer Question

Live in Delaware, worked for firm based in Connecticut, that is incorporated in Delaware. getting ready to resign and am owed a considerable amount of expenses. What type of obligation and time frame is the employer under for reimbursement?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 2 years ago.
Hello,Thank you for the information and your question. The law of the State where you work would be controlling on any employment issue that you might have. In this case, unless you are referring to wages, which must be paid out no later than the next payday after you resign, any expenses that the employer has agreed to pay can be paid on whatever timeline the employer generally uses to pay expenses. In other words, there is no statute that requires an employer to pay employee expenses, so the issue is a purely contractual issue. That means that if there is something in writing that states a deadline for employer expense reimbursement, the employer must comply with their own contracts or written polices. If there is nothing in writing, the normal practice would be used. If payment is not received within that timeline and employee has written a demand letter with no response, they could then file a small claims court case for any expenses they are due.Please let me know if you need any clarification.
Hello again,
I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 6th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (in the pop up box for this question, which is how we get credit (paid)for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.
In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/
Thank you.