Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can the postmaster make us take our ten minutes break 3 minutes…

Customer Question
can the postmaster make us...
can the postmaster make us take our ten minutes break 3 minutes after we clock in
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
we been told that we have to take our ten minutes break 3 minutes after we clock in to start work, I though we get a ten minutes break after we been working for 2 hours.
7/3/2015
Employment Lawyer: Andrea, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Lawyer
Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer, In what State do you work ?
I researched your Question and I found the following - I realize that a “break” just a few minutes after an employee’s workday begins is a little silly. But neither Federal Labor Laws, nor State Laws require that an employer give his employees any “break” time. So, any break given to employees is strictly within the discretion of the employer. If the employer chose not to give employees any break at all during the workday, the employees would not have any recourse against the employer. In other words, any breaks or what times these breaks can be taken would be strictly up to the employer’s discretion. I wish I could give you the Answer you were hoping for, so please do not penalize me for giving you a correct Answer. Kindest Regards, ANDREA
I see that you have reviewed my Answers. Is there anything that I can clarify for you ? If not, please leave a positive rating so that JustAnswer will give me credit for assisting you. It will not cost you anything to leave a positive rating, but without it, JustAnswer will not give me credit for assisting you. Thank you for understanding,
Kindest Regards,
ANDREA
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Lawyer