Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

Assaulted by owner of business, my direct boss denied to hear

Customer Question

Assaulted by owner of business, my direct boss denied to hear my complaint. Filed assault charges with police, left me no other recourse whin company. Multiple times went to direct boss of exciting violent behavior.... not protected at work place from this person who eventually assaulted me. Do I have a case?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, in addition to filing criminal charges, you are able to sue the employer and boss personally for the assault. The employer, who knew about his violent behavior and did not take action, may be sued for negligent retention and you would sue the boss for the assault. The issue becomes your damages though. If you were not injured and do not have any significant amount of damages, the value of your suit, even though you do have a basis to sue legally, would not be very high.