Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I have been given a severance package may limit my ability

Customer Question
to work in my industry. It...
I have been given a severance package may limit my ability to work in my industry.
It states that for a period of 24 months following the effective date of severance of your employment with (the company), you shall not , wither on you own behalf or on the behalf of any third party, directly or indirectly: (i)attempt in any manner to : (1) solicit business from any client or customer who engaged in business with co. at any time during the year prior to your last day of employment with co. (2)solicit business from any client or customer with who CO was engaged in active business negotiations at any time during the year immediately prior to your last day of employment; (3)solicit business from any prospective client or customer including prospective clients or customers, registered in Salesforce; or (4)persuade any client with who you had material contact with, solicited, provided service for or gained substantive knowledge of at any time during the year immediately prior to your last day of employment to cease to do business or to reduce the amount of business which any such client has customarily done or actively contemplates doing with Co. (ii) recruit, solicit or induce or attempt to induce any employee, consultant or agent of CO to terminate employment or otherwise cease their relationship with CO.
the company is saying This language does not prohibit you from accepting employment with a company that is a competitor of CO. It prohibits you from actively soliciting our clients as an individual while employed by our competitor.
There is no prohibition against working for a client
Is that right. Their is more in section 7
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
7/2/2015
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney. I will do whatever I can to provide an honest and accurate answer to your question.
The section you have quoted is, indeed, a non-solicitation covenant, not a non-compete.
It does not prohibit you from going to work for a competitor or anyone else. It only prohibits you from soliciting clients or employees.
I hope this is helpful. If you have any follow up questions feel free to post them. It is never a problem.
Thank you.
Did you have further questions before you rate my service to you?
Loren, Lawyer