Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was off back in 07/11. I filed . Went

Customer Question
I was laid off back...
I was laid off back in 07/11. I filed for unemployment. Went back to work in December of 2014. I was laid off again 06/30. I filed for unemployment and the filing continues from my previous claim. I am confused. Should it not be a new claim with the most recent employer?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
7/2/2015
Employment Lawyer: AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney replied 2 years ago
AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing Employment law for 19+ years and look forward to assisting you.
This is typically a matter of what "base year period" you have. If you were laid off 6/30/2015, your claim is dated in June 2015 then your base year period on a new claim may be 1/2014 - 12/2014. However, you did not earn sufficient moneys in that time to be eligible for any Unemployment insurance coverage. As such, they may look to see if they can use a base period where you DID have enough earnings to make a claim for insurance benefits and if you have enough funds remaining to collect.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!