How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 56486
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a contract employee SYSTEMS ( I work thru a headhunter

Customer Question

I am a contract employee for BAE SYSTEMS ( I work thru a headhunter office that sends me a check every week and takes out taxes and ss) and I was recently told by my supervisor that I would have to go direct in September when my contract ended or be terminated. I asked what brought this up after six years of contracting with them and they said that several employees that were long time contractors were sueing them for not giving them benefits. I was once a direct employee then laid off then brought back as a contract employee and been there for about 6 or 7 years. I attend all the meetings, training and work according to their standards as all the regular employees do so my question is do I have any recourse for those years to recoup paid vacations and holidays and other benefits that they did not offer me by keeping me a contract for so many years rather than bringing me on direct years ago?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
Legally an employer can convert you to an employee. If the employer wrongly treated you as a contractor when in fact for all purposes were an employee you have good basis to pursue back benefits including accrued time that was not given. I would attempt to negotiate this without turning to the labor board or IRS or court, but you reserve those options. Good luck. Kindly let me know if fast and acceptable.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
Very welcome. Happy 4th. I tried to expedite your question. kindly click on a rating of OK or higher for the answer.

Related Employment Law Questions