How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 118658
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is***** am 55 years old and have been

Customer Question

Hello. My name is***** am 55 years old and have been actively employed in the oil and gas industry until Late February of this year. I believe I was laid off due to age and extenuating circumstances, since prior to last job my customer rating was A+. Is there a competent lawyer in the Grand Rapids, Michigan area that would look into this? Thank You!
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
seriously??? If you cant answer for under the conditions you stated to this point, then never mind. Dig for gold elsewhere....
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.I suggest you can contact the Michigan Bar Association for a legal referral. I suggest you can call l(###) ###-####between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. However, I suggest, that while you can consult with a local attorney in this regard, they might not be interested until you have gone through the EEOC with the complaint process. Though a local attorney could help you in this regard, tooBut if you want to first file your complaint, You can use this linkOnce the EEOC has investigated the matter, they may decide to take the matter on for you or they can issue a Notice of Right to Sue. The Notice of Right to Sue should make it easier for you to find a local attorney willing to take the case on a contingency basis
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
HelloThank you for your patience while I typed my answer and gathered contact information for you. I know you are frustrated and upset at your situation. But I am only trying to help you. Thank you
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under MI and Federal Law, you cannot file a complaint with the Civil Rights Department after 180 days from the act of alleged discrimination. HOWEVER, you have 3 years from the date of the action to file suit in STATE court if you have actual evidence that the sole reason for your termination was your age.
Unfortunately, this means you have to hire a local attorney and you have to have some evidence that your age was the only reason (not pay or other reasons) for the termination. Most MI area attorneys want about $3000-$5000 retainer to start such a case and you can find one at the same sites used by other attorneys, or