Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was terminated from a franchise in Missouri and they knew…

Customer Question
I was terminated from a...
I was terminated from a franchise in Missouri and they knew about my background. The corporate office policy says I can't work there because of my background. They let me go because they couldn't take the risk anymore. Do I have a strange my case for wrongful termination?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/30/2015
Employment Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Hello,Thank you for the information and your question and I am sorry to read about your situation. I am not sure what your "background" is that you are referring to but I can still discuss the law of termination in Missouri. Missouri is an employment "at will" state. That means that unless there is a written contract or company policy that provided more protection, an employer may terminate an employee for any, or no, reason and with no notice or warning. The only other exception to that rule is that they employer cannot let someone go simply because of that employees gender, race, age (over 40), religion, disability, national origin, pregnancy, or AIDS/hiv status. So, unless your situation falls into one of the exceptions I mentioned, regardless how unfair or misguided the decision was, your employer would have been acting within the law.If you believe you qualify under one of the exceptions, then you need to sit down with a local employment law attorney to discuss your next step. Please feel free to ask for clarification, I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Hello again,
I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 30th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (in the pop up box for this question, which is how we get credit (paid) for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.
In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/
Thank you.