Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am a part time pastor who was hired to help a local united…

Customer Question
I am a part time...
I am a part time pastor who was hired to help a local united methodist church grow. my annual review took place this month and the program I developed was not renewed. I would like to know if I was wrongfully terminated for the following reasons. 1. I was never given a job description. 2. I was never given the opportunity to speak to the committee that fired me. 3. The committee that fired me never informed me I was fired. Instead they said the program was no longer supported. 4. The pastor announced from the pulpit that I was no longer the Pastor of Church growth...but I never recieved notice from him or the church that I was fired.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/29/2015
Employment Lawyer: Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Unfortunately, unless you had a contract in place which specifically detailed these issues and the manner in which they would be handled, you likely do not have a cause of action for wrongful termination. If you do not have an employment contract, you are considered to be employed at will. An at will employee can be terminated for any reason, or no reason at all, at the discretion of the employer. The only exceptions to an at will employee being able to be terminated at the discretion of the employer are when discrimination is present or when they did not follow their written policy and procedure in how the termination took place. If you feel that this decision was made based on your age, race, gender or disability, then you may have a cause of action through the EEOC, which could lead you to filing a federal law suit for wrongful termination based on discrimination. If you had an employment contract and they breached the agreements within the contract, you may have a cause of action for breach of contract which led to wrongful termination The law suit would be ultimately based on breach of contract. However, in the vast majority of cases, there is no contract and people are employed at will. If that is the case for you, unfortunately, you likely have no viable cause of action here. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively as well. Best wishes going forward!
Did you have any other questions or comments? I just want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks