How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 118681
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just turned 65 ,im 100% disabeled my accident was in 2000 after a

Customer Question

Hi i just turned 65 ,im 100% disabeled my accident was in 2000 after a third party tort i received a $ 500.000. gross award my case than became workers comp it took 8 years to complete the case and i received an award of $568. a week for 405 weeks however subrogation brought it down to a lumpsum payment of $69.000 second injury fund took over after that . I now receive $189. Aweek and will revert to $568 a week in april of 2018 i also receive soc sec disability of $ 1300. gross Question is in 2018 wiil this amount be approx $ 3700. amonth and can i receive this money if i move to my native country the Netherlands ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you move back to the Netherlands and you are entitled to SSDI, there is a treaty with the Netherlands that allows you to continue to receive payments from Social Security. Thus, if you move out of the US to the Netherlands, your SSDI payments can continue as could any SS retirement payments you are entitled to.
As far as your judgment settlement, that would not be affected if you move out of the US, since that is a court ordered settlement/judgment that you are entitled to continue to receive.
Furthermore, you can also make it easier by setting up automatic payments to a US bank which you can access from the Netherlands if you do not have that done already.