Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have w'm now worked small company years. I am

Customer Question
i have w'm now worked...
i have w'm now worked for a small company for 14 years. I am now 61 yrs old. Now just 1 week ago I was told i cannot get any more Sales leads and when someone calls in to place a new order with me I ws told i cannot have the new sale. When I was hired that was what you want...now they are changing the rules. i feel they are trying to push me out the door. Do you think I have a case?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/27/2015
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Unfortunately, unless the company has at least 20 employees, they are't subject to the federal laws against age discrimination (which seems to be the only potential claim you could have). It's not illegal to change the rules for employees after they have been hired, or even to change the rules as a means of pushing employees out. I think that you'd be justified in quitting and getting unemployment with these very different rules about your treatment, but to have a case against the employer you'd have to either have a contract of employment that expressly states that your terms can't be changed or you'd have to prove that their motivation here is your age and sue for discrimination under state law or federal law if they have 20 or more employees (you'd do this through the EEOC first).
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer