Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

My job received an order to garnish my wages

Customer Question
for child support. No problem...
My job received an order to garnish my wages for child support. No problem there. By law they were not supposed to take more than 50% of my wages. I didn't know that. For months my entire check were garnished to the point where i would not receive any
pay at all. can I hold them responsible for not following the law?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/26/2015
Employment Lawyer: ankJD, Employment Lawyer replied 2 years ago
ankJD
ankJD, Employment Lawyer
Good evening,Generally, if an debtor has an objection to the amount of wages garnished, the way to fix it is to file an objection with the court as soon as you realize that too much was garnished. The objection should cite the law that pertains to the garnishment and show the amount garnished is more than legally permissible (which would be easy in your case if they're garnishing everything). The creditor may adjust the amount, or it may file a response asking for a hearing on the matter. Attend the hearing and explain why you believe that your check was garnished too much.I hope this helps! You can also always call the clerk of the court that the matter is pending in and ask if he/she can give you guidance on next steps.
ankJD
ankJD
ankJD, Employment Lawyer