How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ankJD Your Own Question
ankJD, Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 2
Experience:  Extensive experience counseling employers and employees on all aspects of employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
ankJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My job received an order to garnish my wages

Customer Question

My job received an order to garnish my wages for child support. No problem there. By law they were not supposed to take more than 50% of my wages. I didn't know that. For months my entire check were garnished to the point where i would not receive any
pay at all. can I hold them responsible for not following the law?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  ankJD replied 2 years ago.
Good evening,Generally, if an debtor has an objection to the amount of wages garnished, the way to fix it is to file an objection with the court as soon as you realize that too much was garnished. The objection should cite the law that pertains to the garnishment and show the amount garnished is more than legally permissible (which would be easy in your case if they're garnishing everything). The creditor may adjust the amount, or it may file a response asking for a hearing on the matter. Attend the hearing and explain why you believe that your check was garnished too much.I hope this helps! You can also always call the clerk of the court that the matter is pending in and ask if he/she can give you guidance on next steps.