Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am a JROTC Instructor in Louisiana. Our contract states…

Customer Question
I am a JROTC Instructor...
I am a JROTC Instructor in Louisiana. Our contract states that the school system must provide a 1-year notice to discontinue the program. The district closed the program, and did not renew my contract. Thus, leaving me and my coworker unemployed. Should the school district be required to give us our agreed one year?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/25/2015
Employment Lawyer: Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
In short, yes. Since the district entered into this agreement, they are bound by the directives therein. As such, they are in material breach of contract and should be liable for damages as a result thereof, which could include your salary and the salary of your co-worker. You need to place the school board on notice with a certified letter with a return receipt of your claim and the breach of contract. In the letter explain the situation and provide a copy of the contract, with the critical language highlighted. Tell them you will be happy to meet with the board on the record to discuss the matter. Tell them if you have to file suit, not only will you seek your salary, but attorney fees and damages as well. Ask that they respond in writing to your request within 10 business days of the post mark on the letter. Unfortunately, if they are unwilling to relent, you will have to sue the school district for breach of contract to force the issue. However, the issue may be handled via the letter mentioned above. If nothing else, the letter will serve as a form of legal notice, which is good evidence to have if you have to sue later. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively. Best wishes going forward!
Did you have any other questions or comments? I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks!
Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer