Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My employee stole $845.00 on camera. she has a paycheck of…

Customer Question
my employee stole $845.00 on...
my employee stole $845.00 on camera. she has a paycheck of 200 something do I have to give her the paycheck? cant I deduct as a draw?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/25/2015
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Patrick, Esq.
Hello and welcome. I am sorry to hear about this theft. In what state are you located?
oregon
Thank you. I asked what state you are in because this is a matter that will always be governed by state law. Unfortunately, in the state of Oregon deductions from wages are strictly regulated and limited to circumstances that will benefit the employee. The law in Oregon is clear that an employer may not deduct from an employee's final wages to offset for theft. The employer must pay the employee's earned wages and then file a lawsuit in small claims court to recoup their losses from the theft. The employe may also be ordered to pay restitution (damages) for the theft if criminal charges are filed. This, ordinarily, would be the extent of your options under the circumstances.
I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.
If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.
Hello again,
I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.
In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.
Very best wishes.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer