Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can a Employer in the State of Kansas use a recorder in a Small…

Customer Question
Can a Employer in the...
Can a Employer in the State of Kansas use a recorder in a Small Business setting?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/25/2015
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Can you please explain the whole situation you are asking about so we have the proper background to answer you? Who are you seeking to record and under what circumstances?
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3 employees the one employee is like a cancer spreading talking to new hires badly about our business so no one stays
Thank you for your reply.
Under KS law, an employer may record in the workplace as long as it is not "secret" or "covert" and notice is given to all those in the workplace that conversations are being monitored and recorded. Thus, an employer in the workplace may audio record the employees in the workplace by posting notice in the workplace conspicuously. The employer may audio and video record in all work areas and break rooms, with exception of locker/changing rooms and bathrooms where there is a reasonable expectation of privacy of the employee.
Also, KS is a one party consent state, so you can record any conversation that you are participating in without notice to the other party.
If you know the one employee is a problem, KS is a at will employment state and you can terminate the employee for no reason at all or any reason at all, as long as it is not based only on the age/race/sex/disability/national origin of the employee and the employee has no recourse other than filing for unemployment. So if the employee is causing problems, unless they have some written contract to the contrary, you can fire them for no reason at all and be done with them.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney