Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years practicing attorney
19958803

My name is***** live in NJ. An arguement occured,

Customer Question

Hello, My name is***** live in NJ. An arguement occured, last week between coworkers. The one coworker blurtted out that she was recording everything. Is this legal?
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This coworker did make inappropriate remarks to me attacking my personal character. I reported it to my immediate supervisor and my director. I did not hear a response for 5 business days, so I reported it to the HR department. I just wanted to know if it was legal for her to tape an arguement without consent?
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
.
"" An arguement occured, last week between coworkers. The one coworker blurtted out that she was recording everything. Is this legal?""
.
.
Yes, under NJ law, NJ is considered a "one party consent state" which means that as long as at least one party to a communication is aware of the recording, it is legal. So if you were having a conversation with this person, they could legally record it.
.
I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thats fine. The audio recording is incriminating to her, anyway. I just wanted to know what is legal. Thanks
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome. Glad to help any time..
.
If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.
..
.
thanks much