How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a physician and have a patient who threatened to put bad reviews on line unless we cr

Customer Question

I am a physician and have a patient who threatened to put bad reviews on line unless we credit his account of this unpaid bills. Then he posted it. Then he confirmed that he was the one who did it. Then again through email he called me a terrorist and threatened to physically beat me up in front of my staff.
I like to have him stop urgently as he seems likely that he will not stop and he needs to have negative consequences of this
I like to act to stop him asap. What can you do for this situation?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
I suggest that you need to put him on notice that if he comes into the office, he will be arrested for trespassing. And that if he continues to contact for any reason you will file Criminal Harassment charges.
This should be put in writing mailed to him Certified Mail with a Return Receipt Requested.
Once you have done that, then if he continues, you will file a harassment report with the local police and instruct the staff if he comes onto the property to call the police and tell them there is a trespasser causing a ruckus at a medical office
You can call the police now and have them do a report. But they might not issued any type of charge unless you have notified him first. But if they take the report they can make him a visit and give him a verbal warning to stay away.
Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please let me know here. Otherwise, I would appreciate a Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time.
​Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your response. My real question was to see how I can prevent him from putting bad reviews online since he threatened me with this and since I wrote to you he put another view suggesting I am a terrorist. I like to have him stop doing any harm to my reputation and I am asking how I can prevent him from that not just him not coming to the clinic. Can you please answer that and what I should do to stop him and how to go after him legally for this?
Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Btw I appreciate your expertise and of course you will get a good rating
Thank you
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
HelloThere is no way to stop "bad reviews" The courts have ruled that persons have a Freedom of Speech right and can express their opinion in this manner. However, if the statement is absolutely false and is being stated as fact then you can sue for defamation.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
If they are not stating an opinion and are telling a lie, knowing it is a lie and and putting it out as truth to harm your reputation and you can show it has affected you financially, that is a basis for the defamation lawsuit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I use you guys to file defamation case since it's obvious and I like to make sure he suffers consequences? Legally what else can I do to attack him and his reputation by revealing exactly what he is doing and why since he clearly admitted on his emails?
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
HelloNo. Professionals on this site are precluded from representing customers of this site. You will need to have a local attorney represent you. I suggest, that you should consider that consultation and discuss the defamation lawsuit, as well as the harassment charges.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
Have a good day
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome. Good luck with everything.

Related Employment Law Questions