Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I am a contracted employee thtough a temp agency large

Customer Question
I am a contracted employee...
I am a contracted employee thtough a temp agency for a large corp. We are paid 45.50/hr for clinical work plus 25.00/hr for travel time. I noticed on my paystub that the company has been taking the hours I work -ususally 40hrs and subtracting out the travel time usually 16hrs and paying me for only 24 hrs instead of 40 hrs at clinical wage of 45.50. Then because my total number of hrs per week is 56 they then pay me 16 hours at (overtime) time and one half. The question I have is can the company change the amount of hours I worked from 40 to 24?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/19/2015
Employment Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I am a licensed Pennsylvania professional and will do my best to assist you with your concerns.
No, they cannot change your hours. If you worked 40 hours, you are entitled to be paid for 40 hours. If you worked 40 hours and traveled 16 hours, then you are entitled to be paid for the 40 hours worked and for the travel time. Anything else is a wage violation, and something you can report to the Dept of Labor or even sue for outright for the difference owed. Typically going to the Dept of Labor is cheaper but it may take longer to resolve.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney