Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Recently my district manager began interrogating me in front…

Customer Question
recently my district manager began...
recently my district manager began interrogating me in front of my general manager concerning the tension in our store location. The DM went on to say I was acting like someone who was out to get my bosses job. Recently I witnessed my GM calling an associate a liar and I suspect this has something to do with that because I told our area manager about that situation. As a result I have no confidence in the competence of our company's HR dept and feel I am being retaliated against. My GM told our DM in front of me that I had been talking bad about her to other associates and I never have. I was almost speechless and now I am just plain angry. I am an assistant mgr at this store. What should I do? BTW I have no desire to be a GM again as I am wanting to retire in two yrs.we have a very high turnover rate and the associates who leave do so because the GM has a bully mentality and threatens associates about loosing their jobs if they can't "hack" it. I was a GM with the co. I retired from and I was trained not to act like that. She also expects new hires to take training material home to study and does not pay them.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/18/2015
Employment Lawyer: Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of employment law experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today. Unfortunately, unless you think this treatment stems from a root cause of discrimination against you based on your race, gender, age or handicap, there is not a lot that you can do. You need to be mindful of company policies and if you see your superiors breaching those policies towards you, you need to document that as well. Try to document everything for that matter. Communicate as much as possible through email. Confirm conversations and decisions via email, etc. If at some point in the future, something changes that makes this something that is legally actionable, that documentation will be key. I wish there were more legal avenues of redress here for you, but there are not. The law certainly favors the employer in this setting - and not the employee (outside of the federal protections afforded relative to discrimination). While this seems to be a hostile work environment (it is in reality), it is not legally unless there is some form of discrimination involved. If you feel as though you are being discriminated against, then you should file a complaint with the EEOC immediately. They will investigate and if they find evidence of discrimination, they will allow you to sue in federal court. Moreover, the EEOC and federal law protect those that have filed EEOC complaints from retaliation. So, they cannot fire you or harm you for filing an EEOC complaint against them. Let me know if you have any other questions. Please also rate my answer positively. Best wishes going forward!
Did you have any other questions or comments? I just want to make sure you are comfortable moving forward. Thanks
Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer