Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.
7286322

On 1/22/14, I was offered a severance package from Walmart.

Customer Question

On 1/22/14, I was offered a severance package from Walmart. I was paid thru 3/22/14, it was something like $2000 for every year of service. My question is, will I be able to get any kind of pension from them when I retire. I am currently working in a different field right now?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am sorry, but this is not an option unless the employee ACTIVELY SIGNED ON to some kind of pension plan.
If so, then yes. But unless this happened and you remember doing it, pension is not going to be available. It is not automatic and only applies if offered by the employer and signed on to by the employee.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.