Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was fired from my job because someone did not let me know…

Customer Question
i was fired from my...
i was fired from my job because someone did not let me know me that there drug policy had changed i,m on methadone but i have a docs note but because i didn.t let someone know i was fired. the letter from the pmta is addressed to my union leaders not me and no one let me know.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/16/2015
Employment Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 3 years ago
Thank you for your question. I am a licensed Pennsylvania professional and will do my best to assist you with your concerns.
When were you terminated, how long ago? Does this drug in any way affect your ability to perform your work?
As of 6 4 15 and no I m on a low dose and there are jobs that I don't have to drive
Thank you for your follow-up.
Provided that this dose does not affect your work (and provided that you didn't knowingly drive or operate heavy machinery while on this medication without informing management), your medical issue is your own. I do see the management's legitimate position that if you are on medication (regardless of what that medication is) and it affects your ability to drive or perform your duties then they do have a legal right to know which grants them a basis for termination. But if you never performed any sort of work which would be barred under the warning label then this turns into a wrongful termination under the A.D.A. (Americans With Disabilities Act) and you are then permitted to seek recourse. But keep in mind that you only have a case if this medication was never used while you were driving or operating heavy machinery.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.