Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was put on administrative leave without pay.my employer told…

Customer Question
I was put on administrative...
I was put on administrative leave without pay.my employer told me not to talk with anyone ftom my job.allegations was filed on me by a employee, saying i was stealing narcotics .HR called nurses to the office and ask questions,i waa told by HR,they didnt have any prove..so today my boss put me on administrative leave verbally nothing was put in written, i was not told how long i would me on leave for.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/16/2015
Employment Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
.
I am sorry to hear that you have been accused of such actions by another employee..
.
What is your legal question that I can help with tonight?
.
Are you under a written employment contract for a set term?
.
Are you part of any type of union?
.
.
thanks
Do you think i need to retain a lawyer. .i was not given anything in written,regarding my administrative leave without pay
I need to know if you are under any type of fixed term employment contract and also if you are part of any union?
.
.
thanks
My job doesn't have union..and i am an full-time employee.been there since 5 years
Ok, at this point, if you aren't under a written employment contract for a set term, then legally under MD law, you are considered an "at will" employee.
.
What this means is that an employee can quit or an employer can fire or change the terms of employment (change hours, location, duties, pay, etc.) at any time for any or no reason at all.
.
So if your boss has been granted the power by the employer to suspend employees, then legally they can do so, either verbally or with written notification.
.
But at this point, if they do not have any proof to support any allegations, then it would be premature to hire an attorney as there is nothing to defend while there is an ongoing investigation by the employer.
.
Unfortunately, there is no action that you can take at this time except wait to see what any ultimate determination is with regard to the investigation. But as an "at will" employee, they can decide to terminate your employment at any time for any or no reason at all. So if they decide to terminate, there may not be anything you can do to challenge it unless you can prove some type of discrimination as being the grounds for any termination based on race, color, religion, national origin, disability, genetics, age or sex.
.
I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...
.
.
thanks