How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 37843
Experience:  16 years practicing attorney
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was hired, from Missouri, to serve as a school district administrator

Customer Question

I was hired, from Missouri, to serve as a school district administrator in Illinois. Since IL did not recognize my MO certification, I was given a one year contract--and told that I would need to complete requirements for an IL provisional certification during the 2014-2015 school year.
I submitted my application for IL certification to the IL State Board of Education, so that could review (it), and officially inform me what I steps I needed to take for the IL provisional certification. I submitted my information in June, and had to resubmit in December with a higher application fee--and I did not receive the results of the State's formal review until December of 2014. That left me with less than five months to complete the requirements, before the end of my contract. With the scheduling of the required tests, that was an almost impossible task. And, if I failed a test (which I did), had to wait 60 days before a retake. (FYI: only 70% of applicants pass the math portion of the test in any give quarter.)
Since I did not receive the review results until December, do I have a right to a contract extension of 6 months?
Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
If the only formal contract that was entered into was the one year contract, then legally that is all the district has to honor. Equitably they should agree to extend your contact so to give you the additional time necessary since you have acted in good faith in pursuing the certification, but from a purely legal perspective, they wouldn't have to agree.
I am sorry that the news isn't better, but I have a professional and ethical duty to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn't make the customer happy.