Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

In the comm of mass if someone has a non compete and has been…

Customer Question
In the comm of mass...
In the comm of mass if someone has a non compete and has been denied unemployment can the non compete be enforced
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/14/2015
Employment Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Unfortunately, the person's status as to whether they are eligible for unemployment or not doesn't have anything to to with the enforceability of a non compete contract. Unless there is something in the contract that specifically states that it is not enforceable if the employee is denied unemployment, then that wouldn't act as a waiver of the enforcement of the contract.
.
There are typically two reasons an employee would be denied benefits after a separation from their employer...a voluntary quit, or if they were terminated for misconduct. But neither of these affect the written non-compete contract.
.
So to answer your question directly, yes, employer can attempt to enforce the non-compete even if the former employee has been denied unemployment.
.
.
thanks
Barrister, Lawyer