Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I worked in a credit union. I got fired because I provided

Customer Question
somebody the wire instructions and...
I worked in a credit union. I got fired because I provided somebody the wire instructions and a fake account number. They said I opened the door to fraud. They said due to BSA and AML I could no longer be trusted. Is this fair and legal termination?
Read that you needed more info. How do I provide?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/14/2015
Employment Lawyer: Dwayne B., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.
Is it fair? Fair is a subjective question. I tend to side with employees and would say that the employer is assuming a lot and isn't "fair" but fairness doesn't have anything to do with whether or not they are allowed to terminate you.
The real question is "is it legal"? The answer to that, unfortunately, in Michigan is that yes, based on your facts it is legal. Michigan, like most states, is what is known as an employment at will state. That means absent a written contract of employment or a union contract, neither of which you mention in your facts, an employee can be fired for no reason or any reason other than one like race, age, gender, disability, etc.
Most people believe that the law provides more protections to them than it actually does. In employment at will states the law is almost entirely in favor of the employer and against the employee.
Please ask any follow up questions in this thread.
Tina, Lawyer