How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 57373
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a TCF intern Department of Veteran's Affairs.

Customer Question

I am a TCF intern for the Department of Veteran's Affairs. I signed a contract for a two year internship that I agreed to accept in exchange for rapid advancement to the GS-11 or 12 level. the agreement states that I will work 3 more years after the internship at the management level as a medical records administrator. It is now the last 100 days of my internship and I have had a job offer that was accepted and I was to move to Tucson for a assistant chief position. At the last moment they stopped the shipment of my household goods to Tucson stating that Tucson VAMC found me unsuitable for employment due to two misdemeanor warrants in Florida. Now I disclosed everything about these warrants and legalities in detail upon employment and moved here to Walla Walla WA at my own expense. They rushed me here and granted a security clearence because they wanted an employee that was "off the books" or paid by the national VA and not their budget. Now they are telling me that the contract states if I am not hire-able by another VA they can keep me here and put me wherever they want to-and that would be as a clerk (major demotion from GS-7 to GS-5 and I was promised 11 or 12 at the end of internship). They also said I would be trapped working here if the warrants never go away because if I leave employment I have to pay back the 100K dollars in salary and travel I enjoyed as an intern. Can they do that? All I want is out of the contract. Meanwhile I am scrambling to get the misdemeanor warrants taken care of long-distance in Florida by the July timeframe they gave me for when they will start reprocessing my job titles. My internship officially ends 9/26. If I cannot get these warrants taken care of in time can they make me work here and not release me from the contract? How do I go about getting out of a contract like this because of their error?
Patrick Z.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
was there a material mistake or fraud?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the fraud is they knew they were signing on womeone with a misdemeanor warrant for free labor. Now the other VA's where I am supposed to move to will not tak me on board because of it. this place will get stuck with me and is forcing me to be a clek forever because of the warrant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! and are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. Good luck. Kindly rate the answer OK or higher.