Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.
18572087

I was employed about a month and a half ago small engineering

Customer Question

I was employed about a month and a half ago for a small engineering company. What first seemed like an administrative assistant position soon became a very mentally abusive work space once the human resources manager resigned and my supervisor's best friend was hired in his place. I would constantly be told that I was "hired to make her life easier and I'm not." I have also been told that I will never get a raise, nor a promotion. Recently it has come to light that the owner/ceo and my supervisor are engaged in a relationship. He has blatantly said that I am to be buying her coffee from my own money and that I am "mean, unapproachable, and I have no friends". I have been in 2 separate HR mediation sessions with my supervisor's best friend and have adhered to all the bullet points and advice she has put forth and I am still being met with constant resistance. I now have lost all of my projects and am reduced to inventory control of office products. I don't know where I should turn due to the fact that I do not have a proper HR outlet.
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have testimonials from other employees who have been treated in this same manner.
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
If I may ask, how many employees are in this company, about? Also, where do you think this hostility is coming from, any specific cause or reason?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Roughly about 32. The hostility has always been there with this particular person. She uses her position to beat many of our employees down. It has been voiced by the previous HR manager that she was very inappropriate in her interactions with others. Her previous assistant was in the same boat as I am but had the proper HR support since the previous manager was here. I just don't know what I am supposed to do since I feel they are pressuring me to resign by taking away all of my responsibilities.
Thank you for your follow-up.
It surely does appear that you are being targeted. Is there any basis, or can a basis be made that this is based on factors such s your gender, race, and so forth? Or is this person simply a jerk and a bully?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is very clear that me and another girl are targets of upper management's wrath but she has recently become an engineer and is now considered an "asset". The main basis for the rift was the supervisor's friend becoming part of the company. I feel she was harnessed a bit with the previous HR manager but now has her friend and the ceo to back her every move. I have been making sure that all of our correspondences are written to show that I am adhering to the HR suggestions. Yet ultimately I feel she doesn't want me here any more because she simply does not like me and in turn the ceo is bullying me to resign also.
Thank you for your follow-up.
The reason I asked about 'why' is because ultimately while you are entitled to a 'safe' working environment, there is no law that it has to be pleasant. It, however, becomes actionable if the cause for this hostility and action against you is based on factors that violate state and federal laws, namely if they mistreat you this way due to your age (if 40 or older), gender, race, religion, national origin, creed, sexual orientation, or disability if any. If any of those grounds exist, you can contact the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) and file a grievance against the employer by claiming that you are being retaliated against and are being exposed to a hostile work environment. Then if the EEOC finds cause, they will grant you a 'right to sue' letter which you then be able to take with you and retain counsel to pursue the employer. But if they are simply being rude and mean, and are stifling you, that is generally not actionable if no factors exist that would violate the laws.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.