Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was fired and it is clearly due to my supervisor and I not

Customer Question
getting along....
I was fired and it is clearly due to my supervisor and I not getting along. Can I lawfully be fired due to that?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/11/2015
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 2 years ago
John, Employment Lawyer
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. I'm sorry to hear about your job loss.
I'll need to ask you some preliminary questions before I can give you an answer to your question. It depends on WHY you didn't get along - what was the reason - was it age, race, gender, disability or religious beliefs? Something else?
We just didn't get along. She is the type to micromanage. I was there 15 years before she became my supervisor.
This past year things have been much better between us. So I thought. She asked me for a private meeting and basically threatened me. I told HR about it. But I end being fired
Unfortunatley you'll not have legal recourse in this instance. Employment in your State and virtually all others is considered "at will" - meaning you can be disciplined or terminated for any reason that is not otherwise a violation of law. These exceptions are the civil rights protections (e.g., age, race, sex, religion), violations of public policy (e.g., fired for attending jury duty, for refusing to break the law, for reporting illegal activity by the employer (aka a "whistleblower violation"), or having some contractual right to a just cause employment (meaning the employer cannot terminate you without industrial due process - which basically insures a fair and accurate investigation and decision). Without any of these exceptions, courts find that the employer has a legitimate business right to operate its business however it sees fit and the court will not second-guess the employer. These policies and decisions may in fact be awful and clearly not fair or even make good business sense. However, they are not ultimately unlawful.
Personal disputes like you describe are not an exception to the doctrine of at will employment. Only when the termination is based on something protected by law does the termination become actionable. Although you were not treated with dignity, that is not enough under the law; the treatment must be tied to something unlawful.
I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you.
I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.
Sorry for delay replying.
What about the fact that HR knew that my supervisor would ease drop on my private conversation with the HR person and did nothing about it??
Oddly enough, that is not illegal. Whereas it is illegal to intercept someone's phone or emails without consent. So it would be up tot he employer whether it wanted to do anything about it; clearly yours didn't.
John, Employment Lawyer