Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Is it a conflict of interest school facility directors

Customer Question
Is it a conflict of...
Is it a conflict of interest for retired school facility directors to represent vendors and still be active in their School Buildings and Grounds Association (NYS SBGA) sponsoring educational programs affiliated with the SBGA that benefit their new position in a way only a retired director can have access?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/10/2015
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 3 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The conflict of interest policy prevents current government employees and officers from being vendors, but it has no provision about retirees. Here is the NY State Comptroller's Conflict of Interest guideline: http://www.osc.state.ny.us/localgov/pubs/conflictinterest.pdf
The only prohibition would be a current employee or officer could not be involved in contracts. If the retiree is a member of the SBGA but is no longer a government/municipal employee or officer, the policy would not apply.