How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A temp agency I worked an assignment by saying I

Customer Question

a temp agency I worked for ended an assignment by saying I walked off the job without notification. The Connecticut State Adjudicator ruled against them, since I was returning from an illness, on meds, which caused extreme nausea. Now, a month later, and likely because they got they notice they lost and I get UI, they've offered me another job. I filed a claim against them for an hour of unpaid wages, and the State of CT will investigate. Must I take this new position with this complaint unresolved?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
To answer directly, you DO NOT have a duty or an obligation to accept the new position. Once they terminated you, they are free to offer the position but they cannot force you to work there. However, taking the job won't negate your complaint--you can take the job and still continue to seek resolution to the complaint. If you do refuse the job it may be possible for them to claim that as you refused employment, you are in violation of state regulations that require you to take reasonable positions and therefore may lose benefits. Now as far as retaliation, if they do, you can go to the EEOC and again to the State of CT, and have them pursue them further, so taking this position will not harm your options.
Dimitry, Esq.