How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 20288
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband filed a grievance against a fellow employee who

Customer Question

my husband filed a grievance against a fellow employee who has constantly threatened to file against him whenever he does something she doesn't like. After the "investigation" by the human resources dept. he was called in for a meeting. his union rep was with him and allegations were made against his work ethic and his character. These two have worked together for almost 30 years by the way. He is out on paid leave right now. When the met with her she would not allow the same union rep in the room. A different one was there. He has been called in for a meeting tomorrow and his union rep was not even aware he had been called. If he is terminated on the "say so" of others without the right to dispute other than the first meeting what are his rights? I believe it is wrongful termination but I do not know the law. This is in Nevada
Submitted: 2 years ago via EmployeeIssues.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information and your question. Luckily, your husband is in a union and has the right to grieve any employment action taken by the Company. If he were not in a union, then he could be terminated for any, or no, reason and without notice or right to appeal. So, the rights that he has in his bargaining agreement are the extent of his rights in this situation. He needs to keep working with his union representative and if an adverse action is taken, then they will follow the requirements in the BA and grieve. If he loses the grievance, then usually the BA gives the right to take it to an arbitrator. But again, he needs to keep working through the union as that is his only recourse here.
Please feel free to ask for clarification.
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 10th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (in the pop up box, which is how we get credit (paid) for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.
In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at:
Thank you.