Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I live in TN and work company out of Seattle, WA. I

Customer Question
I live in TN and...
I live in TN and work for a company out of Seattle, WA. I have resigned today and my position was Sr. Director of Sales, Americas. It is likely that they will make me sign a document with the wording as below which they recently had one of my direct reports sign when he resigned from his position. How enforceable is the language below in the State of TN and how enforceable in general is the language below being so broad and restrictive in nature.
Termination Certification
This is to certify that I do not have in my possession, nor have I failed to return, any devices, records, data, notes, reports, proposals, lists, correspondence, specifications, drawings, blueprints, sketches, laboratory notebooks, flow charts, materials, equipment, other documents or property, or copies or reproductions of any aforementioned items belonging to Impinj, Inc., its subsidiaries, affiliates, successors or assigns (together the "Company").
I further certify that I have complied with all the terms of the Company's Proprietary Information and Inventions Agreement signed by me, including the reporting of any inventions and original works of authorship (as defined therein), conceived or made by me (solely or jointly with others) covered by that agreement.
I further agree that, in compliance with the Proprietary Information and Inventions Agreement, I will preserve as confidential all trade secrets, confidential knowledge, data or other proprietary information relating to products, processes, know-how, designs, formulas, developmental or experimental work, computer programs, data bases, other original works of authorship, customer lists, business plans, financial information or other subject matter pertaining to any business of the Company or any of its employees, clients, consultants or licensees.
I further agree that for twenty-four (~months from the date of this Certificate, I shall not either directly or indirectly solicit, induce, recruit or encourage any of the Company's employees or consultants to terminate their relationship with the Company, or attempt to solicit, induce, recruit, encourage or take away employees or consultants of the Company, either for myself or for any other person or entity. Further, I shall not at any time use any Confidential Information of the Company to negatively influence any of the Company's clients or customers from purchasing Company products or services or to solicit or influence or attempt to influence any client, customer or other person either directly or indirectly, to direct his or its purchase of products and/or services to any person, firm, corporation, institution or other entity in competition with the business of the Company.
I further agree that for twenty-four ()4') months from the date ofthis Certificate, I will not,
without the Company's prior written consent, directly or indirectly work on any products or
services that are competitive with products or services currently being commercially developed or exploited by the Company on which I worked or about which I learned Proprietary Information during my employment or consultancy with the Company. Further, during such twenty-four (24) month period, I shall not directly, indirectly, or otherwise, own, manage, operate, control, serve as a consultant to, be employed by, participate in, or be connected, in any manner, with the ownership, management, operation or control of any business that competes with the Company. Businesses that are deemed to compete with the Company include, without limitation, businesses engaged in RFID products and solutions. Because the Company does business worldwide, the geographic scope shall be worldwide.
Thank you in advance for your answer.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/7/2015
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney. I will do whatever I can to provide an honest and accurate answer to your question.
Before I answer a bit more detail would be helpful please.
Why would you be required to sign anything if you are resigning? You have no legal obligation to sign anything from them.
You can negotiate the terms if you want or decline to enter into any new agreements.
Thank you.
Tina, Lawyer