Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

There, I work at a restaurant in Virginia Beach, VA.

Customer Question
Hi there, I work at a...
Hi there,
I work at a restaurant in Virginia Beach, VA. I had worked at this same restaurant two years ago and had been a manager at that time. Since I've been back I've been waiting tables, but ever since my first day, the owner has been talking to me about being his bar manager. One week ago we finally sat down and discussed it seriously. He told me that the job was mine, and that I would be paid $600/week for the position. Then yesterday, he sent me a text message saying that he decided to give the job to someone else (a man who has significantly less experience than me who started working at the restaurant two weeks ago). I replied that I was hugely disappointed as I had been told the position was already mine and was counting on the salary that we had agreed on. I expressed that I needed the evening off from work so that I could collect myself after such a huge shock. He never responded to me in any way, and today when the schedule came out, every shift next to my name said "T/O" which stands for requested time off. I did not request any time off at all. I have tried calling him, texting him and e-mailing him and have received no response. I need to know if I had any legal rights here.
Thank you so much for your time.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/7/2015
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 2 years ago
John, Employment Lawyer
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today.
Unless you had a contract for a specific period of time (e.g., you'd be bar manager for 3 years), then you do not have a claim to the position contractually speaking. This is because employment in V.A. is considered to be at will, and you could be terminated at any time without cause.
You could make a claim that the position was given to the less experienced male for reason of gender discrimination. You have what is called an indirect evidence claim for discrimination. meaning you can show that you were qualified and were not selected in favor in someone of the opposite gender. The employer then would have to show a legitimate non-discriminatory reason for your not being hired. The retaliation element of this - i.e., your not being put on the schedule because you complained about the non-hire, is part of your damages for the claim.
You may want to contact the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (the "EEOC". )The EEOC would investigate the workplace at no charge to you and make a determination of whether discrimination occurred. If the EEOC finds discrimination, they attempt to work out a resolution or, if a resolution cannot be reached, they'll either sue the employer or allow you to sue them in federal court. Lastly, your employer cannot legally discipline or discharge you for filing with the EEOC. If this sounds like something you're interested in, you can learn how and where to file a charge with them here: http://www.eeoc.gov/employees/howtofile.cfm
I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers; otherwise the website just keeps your payment and doesn’t credit me at all. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.
I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.
John, Employment Lawyer