Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was employed by The Equitable Life Assurance Society of the

Customer Question
US (formerly in NYC) for...
I was employed by The Equitable Life Assurance Society of the US (formerly in NYC) for 9 years and eleven months. My agency manager insisted that I retire in February, when, which I
didn't know at the time, I was within one month of being a fully qualified person for my retirement.
When I called The Equitable, I was told that I was a month short of the time required. I bought what they told me. A few years later, someone told me that this was illegal. Now I
don't know which is true.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/5/2015
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 2 years ago
John, Employment Lawyer
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today.
I'll need to ask you some preliminary questions before I can give you an answer to your question. In what state are you located? How long ago was it that you retired. Do you have any idea why the manager insisted you retire at that particular time; can you prove this manager insisted this by way of anything other than your testimony?
I wasn't particularly productive at that time. The Agency Manager and the Assistant Agency manager decided (my opinion) that it would be better for their record if I was pushed out instead of retired. Since I wasn't thinking of retiring at that time, it was easy to get me to quit. If pressed, I could probably think of a couple of agents at that time that could remember the situation.
It is possible that you have a case, but you'd have to be able to prove the reason they forced you out was to avoid a pension payout, rather than to just wait and let you retire with benefits. That would be a violation of ERISA and illegal. But the problem here really is one of evidence - I don't see how, especially at this point in time years later, that you'll be able to do that, because you'll have to show their states of mind. But if you somehow could prove that, there would be a case.
I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers; otherwise the website just keeps your payment and doesn’t credit me at all. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.
John, Employment Lawyer